As the old saying goes, Medical Insurance is expensive because Medical Care is expensive. Perhaps we should modify that statement to say that medical insurance is expensive because Prescription Drugs are expensive.
Here is an actual prescription drug report from an Ohio-based company. It is interesting to note that the top 12 employees of this company spent $787,925 in only 6 different medications.
Here is a breakdown of the top 6 medications:
1) Fabrazyme: 1 Patients, Total Cost: $314,974. Fabry’s Disease
2) Tasingna: 2 Patients, Total Cost $181,845 Leukemia
3) Gleevec: 1 Patient, Total Cost 98,325 Leukemia
4) Humira: 4 Patients, Total Cost 80,738 Rheumatoid Arthritis
5) Rebif Rebidose: 1 Patient, Total Cost 60,874 MS
6) Enbrel: 3 Patients, Total Cost $51,166 Rheumatoid Arthritis